Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Perspective

I've noticed a shift in my thinking and attitude as I get closer to the next steps of the application process.  I've begun trying to organize my belongings and get rid of things that I've held onto for far too long for some reason.  I'm trying to take stock of what I can keep and what I'll eventually have to get rid of before I leave - a significant challenge to say the least. In my efforts to pay off my credit cards and try to save a little money before leaving I've refrained from spending money on clothes and other materialistic things (also because I'm aware of how much stuff I have and the fact that I'll have to do something with it before I leave).

There's something comforting about getting rid of all the things that don't really matter and preparing to pack up my life (although my potential departure is still months away).  It's like the ultimate detox. I've spent so much time acquiring clothes, shoes, accessories, decorations, and hundreds of other things that have all but lost their value, sentimental or otherwise.  I've daydreamed about getting rid of everything except for the clothes and supplies I would need for traveling the world, and doing just that - starting with Peace Corps and even beyond. I'm excited for the next chapter of my life to start, and I want it to be filled with the kinds of experiences that I can only get from traveling the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment