Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Temple in a Mountain: Wat Phu Tok

Buddhism is a big part of Thai culture; over 90% of Thai people are Buddhist.  I've learned a lot about Buddhism during my time in Thailand and have been able to see the many ways it is weaved into the culture and daily life of people throughout Thailand.  It's really interesting to be able to learn about it while also living in a country in which it is so ingrained.  I read about things that I see played out in my day to day life in rural Thailand.  The number of Buddhist temples in Thailand is remarkable, especially given their often ornately intricate designs and colorful exteriors.  I've long since lost track of the number of wats (temples) I've been to and yet I still find myself consistently fascinated by them.
Bueng Kan: Thailands newest province
  

I recently visited Wat Phu Tok in Bueng Kan province (the red part of the map on the left), a temple constructed on a mountain that requires a hike and no more than a manageable fear of heights for a complete visit.  It has 7 levels, each reached by various staircases and rickety wooden planks.  The different levels are related to the path to enlightenment in Buddhism and the different stages along that path.  



I started at the bottom and at the second level I had the option of two different staircases: one looked more direct and a little more reliable while the other looked a bit more roundabout and challenging.  I chose the latter, and was rewarded with the more challenging (and significantly more terrifying) ways around and up the mountain.
Entrance to the climb 
Wat Phu Tok from the ground
Starting up the many stairs 


 Each level became slightly more challenging as I continued further up the mountain.  A couple of the levels had walkways around the mountain that were simply a bunch of pieces of wood constructed into a walkway built on the side of the mountain.  If I looked down I could see just how far I'd go if one of these things gave out, which was not a very comforting thought.  
Walkways and staircases weaving around the mountain
Walking on the side of the mountain
Told myself not to look down, which didn't help me to not look down















Level 6 included a path that led out to a separate, small mountain peak that was detached from the main part of the mountain and included a walkway to a small covered pavilion with a few Buddha images inside.  The views and the feeling of tranquility on the top levels were pretty spectacular.  
Small detached peak off of level 6
Walking on air - almost 
The ascent to level 7 was the least developed and most challenging - less stairs and more climbing over trees.  I couldn't help but think about the symbolic values of each level as I climbed all the way to the top (choices about the path we take and the effort required to achieve 'success').  The final paths would through the trees and vines and eventually came to a small clearing at the top.  I made it to the top, soaked in sweat, and enjoyed the views for a few minutes before making my way back down.

At the top
On the way back down I discovered a few paths I had not yet explored, as well as the easy route up and down the mountain.  My anxieties about experiencing the 'side of the mountain terror walks' were eased as I made my way back down via the slightly easier route of solid walkways and mostly solid staircases.  

No comments:

Post a Comment