Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Angkor Wat and my first half marathon

Peace Corps has a way of challenging me in all sorts of ways and pushing me to try things I’ve never liked or always found a little scary - like running.  I’ve never really been a runner (mostly because it's hard and not fun for me) and yet I found myself starting to run out of necessity several months ago.  I don’t have many options for exercise and biking everyday only does so much for me.  I didn’t make it far the first time, nor did I really like it very much.  But it was something, and it helped relieve some of the daily frustrations and clear my head at the end of the day, so I kept at it.  It got easier and more enjoyable.  I got smiles and thumbs up from the monks I would pass on the small dirt paths behind my house and I loved it.  People from a neighboring village would give me high fives as they rode past on their motorbikes and kids would stare and laugh at me.  There's an older woman that I've never really met and yet somehow manage to see almost every time I run, riding one way or another past me on her motorbike, and she gives me the biggest smile, waves her hand in the air and tells me how great I’m doing.  I found myself running more days than not, and actually enjoying it every once in a while.

A couple months ago I decided to sign up for the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon along with several of my fellow PCV’s and I started a training program to prepare, not feeling totally secure in the fact that this was actually something I could attempt and accomplish.  At the end of November I traveled to Siem Reap, Cambodia for the December 1st race and a couple days of sightseeing around the temples of Angkor Wat.  We headed to the starting line at 5:30 am on race day in time to watch the sunrise over Angkor Wat as we waited for the race to start.  The course was easy and beautiful, full of groups of Cambodian kids eager to give water, waves and high fives (one of my favorite parts).  The race was great for the most part – I developed some knee and hip pains during the last few miles, which were discouraging (and pretty painful) but only slowed me down a little bit. I finished and I'm incredibly proud of myself.

Sunrise at the starting line 

Along the race route 

After the finish: Thailand PCVs

The rest of the time in Siem Reap was spent exploring the incredible temples of Angkor Wat, which were massive and beautiful.  At the entrances/exits to each temple stood a mix of women and children, each holding a basket of various souvenirs and handmade gifts.  They're relentless and won't stop asking you to buy their goods, even after you've said 'no, thank you' for the fifth time.  The kids are adorable and it's hard to say no, especially when they keep after you with their guilt-inducing pleas and everything is just "one dollar."  
Angkor Wat

Monks inside the temple grounds

Another view inside Angkor Wat...it's massive

Another temple - can you see the faces?

Another temple


The temple that was apparently in Tomb Raider...it has trees growing through it everywhere

These kids were everywhere...it's hard to say no

On top of another temple for the sunset


Watch them work 

Sunset on the train from the border back through Thailand


Siem Reap was great and Angkor Wat was incredible, but I've found myself anxious to go back for more exploration of many more parts of Cambodia.  



No comments:

Post a Comment